I haven’t been posting in awhile but thought I’d stop in to share my favorite recipe. Over the past 20 years I’ve perfected this (at least I love it). For awhile I was having to make it different due to not being able to find my favorite seasonings. After much searching and reading I found that the spice I had been using had changed it’s name. At least that’s what i read. I used it for the first time again and though it taste basically the same I don’t think it has the spicy black pepper in it as it had in the past. Remedy: add black pepper.
I’ve been told my sauce is not quite like others and in fact some have told me it’s not spaghetti sauce at all because it’s thick. I happen to like using lots and lots of veggies and sausage instead of hamburger meat. But if your a vegetarian, or just want a vegetarian meal, just omit the sausage. I do use some pre-made sauces from a jar but I’ve added so much that I don’t think it matters. I love the taste. Anyway, here it is.
I use ground sausage but this is so thick and hardy the sausage can be omitted for a complete vegetarian sauce. This makes aprox 3 quarts, enough to have some to freeze for later use.
- 1/2 large red/purple onion – diced
- 1 large white onion- diced
- 3 cloves of garlic – diced
- 1 red bell pepper – diced
- 1 green bell pepper- diced
- Mushrooms – sliced
- Roma Tomato – diced
- Extra virgin olive oil (will use several times so just keep bottle handy)
- Durkee Spicy Pasta Seasoning (also keep handy)
- 2 jars of Classico Spaghetti sauce or those of your choosing. 24 oz jars
- One pound of ground sausage. I usually find an “Italian” type or “regular”